Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Springing forward

With daylight savings being just a few days away, something fantastic has also re-set its seasonal clock around here. The abundant winter rain that dumped this year made our funky succulent-ed entry really bust out with big time juiciness! Once shriveled jade plants, aeoniums, echevarias and aloes are now thick, thriving and fat with moisture. And, along with their new found lust for life, these plants are also hosting a variety of critters. My darling cat "Bones" (aka "Itty Bitty"- not so bitty any more) has made many new chewy friends and has thoughtfully introduced them to the rest of the household; usually when and where we least expect it. Examples - like right after dinner, or at 2:30am via the bedroom window (over my side of the bed, of course) or placed orderly next to my gym bag where her victim lays maimed, wiggly or dead as a door nail.

Her favorite new friends include: earthworms, some up to 6" long; alligator lizards, usually missing a limb and/or tail and the real fun novelty of late is a 3" long potato bug, ewww! This link should do the trick for those unfamiliar with this elusive, mysterious bug-thing... http://uploadwikipedia.org/wikipedia/ommons/1/1e/mahogany_Jerusalem_cricket.jpg . Darwin, my friend, I guarantee our crazy coastal niche would have impressed you!

But seriously now - cats, critters and natural selection aside, the important thing to share with my blog followers is that I often harvest succulents from our rain-soaked front yard. I find they make a fine ingredient in many a floral recipe. From boutonnieres to centerpieces - their effect is stunning, surprising and always invites both touch and comment. Heck, talk about shopping "local', eh? Lucky me! Oh, and my cat too. Photo courtesy: http://www.barnettphoto.com/

Cheers,
Adrianne

No comments:

Post a Comment