Thursday, November 5, 2009

Got pesto?


Having a real farmer for a father growing up certainly had it's perks. We always had great home grown veggies - squash, artichokes, tomatoes, chard, beets, snow peas...rolling with the seasons, it was ever changing and exciting to see what came up next. Note: I was the harvester while Dad did all the real grunt work. I think he liked it that way being the veteran green thumb that he was.

Fast forward to 25 years later. My husband and I finally live at a place convenient for a raised planter bed. After our first "box farm" was born, I was filled with mulchy glee! I did, however, have this inner fear...that what if after all our efforts I somehow manage to kill everything!? Afterall, I do work solely with cut floral; not living, breathing green plants. Voila, magic occurred - we grew 3 types of tomatoes, Japanese eggplants, Padron peppers de Espana, herbs and sunflowers! Damn, I was good! To protect the fruits of our labor, I battled evil caterpillars and other buggy vermin daily...and, hell, looked I won! Summer has come and gone, the box farm is a mess of dead vines and withered limbs but the one thing that keeps on thriving are 2 fat daddy sweet basil plants. I became a pesto factory this year...and here's my recipe, eat up.

BOX FARM PESTO
3 cups loose packed basil leaves

3 cloves of crushed garlic

1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

1/4+ cup good olive oil

juice of 1 lemon

sea salt

fresh ground pepper

1/2 cup of grated Parmasen cheese

Place all stuff in blender and puree the heck out of it. If too thick, scrape down the sides of blender and add more oil and/or lemon juice. Adjust the salt and pepper to your liking. Sometimes a dash of crushed red pepper flakes gives it edge. Serve with warm pasta or on top of grilled fish or chicken. Store in fridge for up to a week.


2 comments:

  1. Adrianne, This pesto is prefecto!! We enjoyed your handmade summer pesto from your Moonlight Pesto Factory. Thanks for posting this delicious pesto recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly - my pesto praising pal, you're the best!
    XO, A

    ReplyDelete